In no particular order, a girlfriend and I have amassed a gigantic list of all the top things to do in New York City, some of them popular, some of them less known about. This list of best New York attractions is based on information I have been given by locals and other city transplants such as myself. Those crossed out have been completed!
1. Eat artichoke pizza at Artichoke Pizza, walk the Chelsea High Line, go to the Chelsea Market 2. Go to a Yankees and/or Mets game (I heard if you take the water taxi sometime the captains let the girls drive the boats).
3. Run Brooklyn Bridge back and forth
4. Have a picnic at the Bronx Botanical Garden
5. Climb the 354 stairs to the top of the Statue of Liberty
6. Have drinks at the rooftop bar at The Met
7. Go to an open air concert at Central Park
8. Go to a concert at Madison Square Garden (Saw Prince and Simbad)
9. Attend a church service in Harlem on Sunday and photograph all the women in their beautiful hats.
10. Take a “free” wine and art tour of all the Chelsea galleries
11. See the secret subway station off the 6 local uptown.
12. Run the perimeter of Central Park
13. Shove my face at Shake Shack
14. Get into the Boom Boom Room at The Standard Hotel
16. Go to the Fulton fish market early in the morning and meet the legendary fish mongers
17. Take the gondola to Roosevelt Island
18. Visit the China Town ice cream factory
19. Tour the Chrysler and Empire State buildings
20. Take a dance class at Broadway Dance Center
21. Go to a charity ball.
22. Kayak the Hudson River
23. See a freak show at Coney Island, then ride the roller coaster and eat a hot dog at Nathan’s
24. Get waited on by transvestites at Lucky Cheng’s restaurant
25. Find out about New York’s connection to the bagel and write a story about it
26. Get pampered at the Spa Castle and then visit a Hindu Temple in Flushing, Queens
27. Take singing lessons with someone who trains for Broadway
28. Tour the real Little Italy in the Bronx, stroll Arthur Avenue
29. Do a jazz tour in Harlem
30. Have summertime fun at a water taxi beach
31. Eat at the Latin American food trucks in Red Hook, watch a soccer game
32. Rent a row boat in Central Park and ride across the river
33. Live it up in the Hamptons
34. Gamble in Atlantic City
35. Participate in an Improv Everywhere stunt
36. Volunteer to help replant oysters in New York waterways
37. Participate in at least 10 New York Caresprojects
38. Photograph hipsters in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
39. Take a Bollywood dancing class then eat Indian food in Curry Hill